Trout On The Fly is an authorized permittee of Yellowstone National Park. We offer full day walk and wade day trips to anglers of all experience levels. These are fantastic trips for both the incredible scenery and legendary fishing. We are also able to provide an experience that focuses on both hiking and flyfishing. The fishing season in YNP begins the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend (usually the last weekend in May) and extends through and includes the first Sunday in November. The only exception is a section of the upper Yellowstone River that opens in mid-July. The native fish species include Arctic Grayling, Westslope Cutthroat, and Yellowstone Cutthroat trout. Non-native species include Brown, Brook, Lake and Rainbow trout. Hybrid species include Cutbow (Cutthroat and Rainbow trout mix). Visit our waters section to read about some of the more popular options we offer in YNP. Call us at 406-580-7370 to inquire about the rivers not listed on our website. The walk and wade trips in the north and northeast area of Yellowstone National Park are a two-day minimum and include Slough Creek, Soda Butte, Lamar River, Gardner River, and Yellowstone River to name a few. There are no minimums for other areas of YNP such as the Madison River, Firehole River, and Gibbon River.
- Wader and Wading Boot Rental – Let us know when booking a trip if you need rental gear and we will arrange to have them upon your arrival. Prices with Trout On The Fly are $20 for half day rental and $30 for a full day wader and boot rental. *Felt free boots are mandatory when fishing in Yellowstone National Park*. Felt sole wading boots are still permitted while fishing in Montana.
- Yellowstone National Park Fishing License – If you plan to fish in Yellowstone National Park a different license is required. Anglers 16 years and older can purchase a three-day ($18), seven-day ($25), or season ($40) permit at all ranger stations, visitor centers, and Yellowstone Park general stores. Permits are also available at many businesses in the greater Yellowstone area. Anglers 15 years of age and younger may fish without a license when supervised by an adult or may obtain a free permit signed by a responsible adult to fish without direct adult supervision. No Montana or Wyoming state fishing license is required in Yellowstone National Park.
- Guide Gratuity – Gratuity is not mandatory, but is well appreciated to help with the guide’s fuel, flies lost on the trip, and reflects the hard work of the guide. Average gratuity is 20-25% of the price of the trip. However, if you feel the guide deserves more or less, please adjust the amount according to your experience.
- Yellowstone National Park Entrance Fee – On all guided trips inside YNP, each angler is required to pay a $15.00 entrance fee (excluding the guide). This is paid at the entry gate. If you are a national park season pass holder, this will get you and everyone in that vehicle into the national park without the above additional entry fee.
- Transaction Fee – All credit or debit card payments add 3% to the total amount.
Deposit & Cancellation Policy
- A 50% deposit is required at the time of reserving your fishing guide. The remaining 50% balance will be due within 60 days of the trip(s).
- Cancellations made more than 30 days prior to the scheduled date will be refunded the full amount of the deposit.
- Cancellations made 30 or fewer days prior to the trip will forfeit 50% of the trip amount.
Please understand that these trips are difficult to re-book on short notice, and that our focus is on providing the best fishing experience possible. If you have any concerns about attending your booked trip, please look into trip insurance.
- “I just wanted to drop a note to you expressing my appreciation for such a well run and professional operation that you have. Your eagerness to put your customers on the best spots is absolutely commendable and makes the biggest difference to those who have traveled long distances to make this trip. I enjoy not only fishing with you but your company as well. Please look us up when you get to Houston as I would like to extend our hospitality to you as you have to us. Thank you again for such a wonderful and memorable experience. I am very much looking forward to next year!“
- “I have fished with Nate 12 fishing days in the last two years, on the Madison, in YNP, and the Missouri. Last trip in June 2017. Nate consistently and patiently puts you on top of trophy trout - the rest is up to you. And, he even helps with that! My grandson, daughter and son have caught scores of trout with Nate. His love for Montana, fly selection, presentation make a trip with him an unforgettable experience. Highly recommended.“