Half days are a great introduction to fly fishing; we will teach you the basics in casting, line management, knots, some entomology, and how to land fish. Got children? Don’t torture them on a full day trip; this can leave a bad taste in their mouth. Half days allow us to expose the child to the sport, leaving them with a good experience!
These trips last 4 hours, starting from the time the guide sets up your gear at the river’s edge. We offer half day fishing in the morning (from 8 am – 12 pm) or afternoon (1pm-5pm). Occasionally we can be flexible on start time, please call to discuss.
We are not a brick and mortar fly shop. Upon booking trips with Trout On The Fly, we will make suitable arrangements to pick you up at your vacation rental, lodge, hotel, campsite, or the airport. If your place of lodging is out of the way, we will ask you to meet your guide at a convenient location for your day(s) on the water. This applies regardless of where you are staying – Bozeman, Ennis, Cameron, Helena, Livingston, West Yellowstone or Fort Smith Montana.
- Wader and Wading Boot Rental – Let us know when booking a trip if you need rental gear and we will arrange to have them upon your arrival. Prices with Trout On The Fly are $20 for half day rental and $30 for a full day wader and boot rental. (*if you have studded boots let us know so we can have proper mats for the drift boats*)
- Montana Fishing License – To save time we recommend you purchase your license(s) online before your trip at the Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks website. Any angler 12 years of age and older must have a Conservation License ($10-nonresident) plus a Fishing License ($25 for 2 consecutive days, $56 for 10 consecutive days or $86 for season-nonresident), plus an Angler AIS Prevention Pass (AISPP) ($7.50 for non-residents). No license is required for angler’s age 11 years and younger IF accompanied by an adult who holds a valid Montana fishing license. Click here to buy a Montana Fishing License Online
- Guide Gratuity – Gratuity is not mandatory, but is well appreciated to help with the guide’s fuel, flies lost on the trip, and reflects the hard work of the guide. Average gratuity is 20-25% of the price of the trip. However, if you feel the guide deserves more or less, please adjust the amount according to your experience.
- Transaction Fee – All credit or debit card payments add 3% to the total amount.
Deposit & Cancellation Policy
- A 50% deposit is required at the time of reserving your fishing guide. The remaining balance will be due 60 days before your scheduled trip(s)
- Cancellations made 61 days or more from your scheduled trip will be refunded the full amount.
- Cancellations made between 60 and 31 days before your scheduled trip will forfeit $100 of the trip amount.
- Cancellations made 30 or fewer days prior to your scheduled trip will forfeit 100% of the trip amount.
Please understand that these trips are difficult to re-book on short notice, and that our focus is on providing the best fishing experience possible. If you have any concerns about attending your booked trip, please look into trip insurance.
- “Hi Nate! We had a great time fishing with Mike Horner...he has a lot of patience. I had tons of nibbles but couldn’t quite snag a big one. At the end we caught a couple little rainbow trout so that was just fine with us. Great experience, great guide. Thank you so much for fitting us in and ending our trip on a high note! Rose Wabol“
- “Our half-day float was a great trip. Guide Mike Horner was awesome! Both Collin (Traci's son) and I really gained a lot of knowledge from Mike and had a wonderful time enjoying the fishing and scenery. Mike was a true professional. We were both really new to fly fishing and needed a lot of extra hand-holding, from time to time. Mike was there the entire time; helping us get our gear in order, putting together all of the lines, steering the boat, showing us what to do and when, giving us food/water, etc... We really had him working that day! He was also a really nice and patient guy who knew a ton about fly fishing and the surrounding area. I enjoyed his information about the area as much as I did the fishing. We were lucky to have him that day. We really had a blast. I think everything was executed perfectly and I don't think I would have changed anything else.... well, maybe I would have caught a few more fish... but that isn't on you! :) Thanks! Chris Lundeberg“
- “Tony met us at the rental shop and drove us to the area where we were going to fish. He made sure we had all the equipment we needed and even had provided most of it for us. AJ has experience with fly fishing but I do not. I felt very well guided and AJ learned some new things as well. Tony was patient and had a great laid back style that worked well with us. Tony was confident with his fly fishing knowledge and was very professional teaching me the basic skills. He also made safety a priority, which we appreciated. He had a great personality and both AJ and I had a great time! We would definitely fish with Tony and Trout on The Fly if we are ever in Montana again! And we would recommend you guys to anyone visiting Montana.“