We offer the use of drift boats on most rivers listed. The drift boats or rafts allow us to cover a larger area and access waters that are inaccessible or unsafe for wading, which is an advantage. The boats also allow us to bring extra gear that might otherwise be left behind on walk-n-wade trips. Some rivers have regulations that mandate fishing only by wading. Although we cannot fish from the boat, we use the boat to drift through these areas and access fishing holes that one cannot access on foot because of private land.
The drift boats are designed to float through shallow waters. With our knowledgeable guide staff in the center of the boat rowing, he or she can safely navigate you into position for the perfect drag free drift. All boats can accommodate up to two anglers at most. For example, if you have six anglers you would need three guides, and we are happy to arrange for as many anglers and guides as you need. When booking trips, especially large groups, we highly recommend booking one year in advance to ensure we have enough guides for your group.
Most of the drift boats are fiberglass construction, although some are wood, and the rafts are PVC (polyvinyl chloride). If you have wading boots with metal cleats please let us know when booking your trip(s) so we can arrange for protective mats that will help protect our vessels.
No boats are allowed in Yellowstone National Park, park law. All float trips will be on our Montana waters.
We are not a brick and mortar fly shop. Upon booking trips with Trout On The Fly, we will make suitable arrangements to pick you up at your vacation rental, lodge, hotel, campsite, or the airport. If your place of lodging is out of the way, we will ask you to meet your guide at a convenient location for your day(s) on the water. This applies regardless of where you are staying – Bozeman, Ennis, Cameron, Helena, Livingston, West Yellowstone or Fort Smith Montana.
Three Anglers In A Boat
- This becomes a liability. Our drift boats and jet boats have U.S. Coast Guard max weight limit for each vessel. If we exceed this weight limit and have an accident we would be at fault. Yours and the guides safety comes first.
- If we were to allow three anglers in one boat, only two anglers could fish at any given time. This means one angler is not fishing. The best scenario for allowing three anglers in a boat is if it happens to be a mom, dad and a child that is young and needs to be with their parent. We would still observe the max weight limit.
- 3 persons or 750 lbs – this includes the weight of the guide.
- Most guides are not willing to take on three anglers in their boat. It is back breaking-work, and the boat is not as responsive to get you into position when needed.
- Everyone will have a more enjoyable and productive day if we can keep the boat to a max of two anglers for each boat/guide.
- If we agree on letting you have three people in the boat (plus the guide) the cost is an additional $200.00 on top of the daily rate.
- Wader and Wading Boot Rental – Let us know when booking a trip if you need rental gear and we will arrange to have them upon your arrival. Prices with Trout On The Fly LLC are $30 for half day rental and $40 for a full day wader and boot rental. Rent your waders and boots beforehand at our online store HERE.
- Montana Fishing License – To save time we recommend you purchase your license(s) online before your trip at the Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks website. Any angler 12 years of age and older must have a Conservation License ($10-nonresident) plus a Fishing License ($14 for 1 day, $56 for 5 consecutive days or $100 for season-nonresident), plus an Angler AIS Prevention Pass (AISPP) ($7.50 for non-residents). No license is required for angler’s age 11 years and younger IF accompanied by an adult who holds a valid Montana fishing license. Click here to buy a Montana Fishing License Online
- Guide Gratuity – Gratuity is not mandatory, but is well appreciated to help with the guide’s fuel, flies lost on the trip, and reflects the hard work of the guide. Average gratuity is 20-25% of the price of the trip. However, if you feel the guide deserves more or less, please adjust the amount according to your experience.
- Transaction Fee – All credit and debit card payments add 3% of the total amount.
- Third Angler Rate – If we agree on letting you have three people in the boat (plus the guide) the cost is an additional $200.00 on top of the daily rate.
Deposit & Cancellation Policy
- A 50% deposit is required at the time of reserving your fishing guide. The remaining balance will be due 60 days before your scheduled trip(s)
- Cancellations made 61 days or more from your scheduled trip will be refunded the full amount.
- Cancellations made between 60 and 31 days before your scheduled trip will forfeit $100 of the trip amount.
- Cancellations made 30 or fewer days prior to your scheduled trip will forfeit 100% of the trip amount.
- Requests to move a scheduled trip date are the same as canceling and re-booking
Please understand that these trips are difficult to re-book on short notice, and that our focus is on providing the best fishing experience possible. If you have any concerns about attending your booked trip, please look into trip insurance.
- “Nate,I wanted to reach out and thank you for accommodating us on such short notice. You made the booking process seamless, and it was such a great way to round out our trip. I also wanted to share how great Ashton was. He went out of his way to make sure we had everything we needed clothing-wise to stay warm (he stopped and bought gloves for us) and was extra patient in teaching us the ins and outs of fly fishing. Best of all, I caught my first trout! We really had such a great time and hope to one day make it back. Thanks again for everything, and we will be recommending your place to friends.“
- “Hey Nate!! Booking with Trout on the Fly was one of the easiest processes, and Nate was super responsive with my questions and setting up the trip. Absolutely everything is taken care of by the team, and I'm fully confident you could walk out of the airport and straight onto a fly trip if you needed to. They provided everything you could need, which was reassuring just in case our fly gear didn't make it on the plane. We booked a full-day trip, which I'd recommend for those with fly fishing experience! Sam was a great guide with great taste in music. He communicated well and was on time with pickup and drop-off! He was super knowledgeable about the flys to use and which fish were going to be around. Since we booked for later in the season, there were a few changes to which fish were around, and he was able to adjust our trip route based on what was going on! Thank you so much again for a great trip!!! Sarah“
- “Hi Nate, I just wanted to reach out again and thank you for a terrific trip with you and arranging the two excellent trips with Sam Cady. My dad and I each learned a great deal from both of you regarding fishing tactics, flies, and line management to name a few. We were greatly impressed and appreciated your dedicated efforts of getting in and out of the boat on our trip. We also wanted you to know how great Sam was on the two trips. He was friendly, knowledgeable and very encouraging with constant positive feedback. On all three trips, we each caught fish and had a great time out on the water. One last personal note, I really appreciated your (as well as Sam’s) patience and kindness of assisting my dad in and out of the boat. This was a memorable trip in so many ways! All the best, Bill Doyle“
- “I just wanted to let you know how much Ken (my son) and I enjoyed our guided trip experience with Matt Hoff. It was our first trip to the Bozeman area. The whole experience with Matt was rated as one of the best trips that I have ever taken with a fly fishing guide. Matt was always prompt, knowledgeable, and hospitable. We were always treated respectfully, most professionally, yet we felt like we were brothers. Though there were instances of line tangles, lost flies, and missed strikes, we were never criticized or treated in an condescending way. He had a way of making us try our best at all times, but never was there a negative comment made. There were several instances of some impending dangerous weather and he was always concerned for our personal safety. His concern was for us and making sure that we had the best experience that we could have under the prevailing conditions. He never mishandled any fish and was always concerned for a safe release. Lunches were great and equipment worked well. In short, Ken and I had a "blast"! The time went by way too quickly. We will certainly keep your outfit and Matt guiding in mind for any future trips to Bozeman. Again, thanks for the great experience. Our best regards always, Gary Cooper“
- “We had a perfect day on the Yellowstone River with our guide Travis. As novice fly fishers, my wife and I weren't sure what to expect of the day. But the combination of a knowledgeable, patient, and humorous guide, the beauty of the Yellowstone River, and some success from our fly fishing efforts all combined to make the experience a wonderful one. Thanks, Jim and Abby McCarthy“