Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What Gear Should I Bring? 
A: We have a complete list of items that we recommend for your trip. Check it out! Remember that if you do not have the items listed, let us know and we will help outfit you.

Q: Do I Need A Fishing License?
A: Yes, a valid Montana fishing license is required before your guide trip begins on all our Montana waters. A Yellowstone National Park fishing license is required on all trips conducted in Yellowstone National Park.

Q: Can I Keep The Fish I Catch?
A: No. Trout On The Fly practices catch and release on all guided trips. This does not mean that you can’t go out on your own after your trip and keep fish, as long as you follow the current Montana fishing regulations.

Q: What Is Included In The Price Of Day Trips?
A: Half Day Trip: Guide, non-alcoholic beverages, all the tackle including flies, leaders, and tippet.
Full Day Trip: Guide, lunch, non-alcoholic beverages, all the tackle including flies, leaders, tippet, and the shuttle service for the guide’s vehicle on float trips.

  • Rods will be supplied by the guide on all trips if you do not have your own.

Q: Do I Need To Tip My Guide?
A: Gratuity is not mandatory, but is well appreciated to help with the guide’s fuel, flies lost on the trip, and reflects the hard work of the guide. Average gratuity is 20-25% of the price of the trip. If you feel the guide deserves more or less, please adjust the amount according to your experience.

Q: Can I Bring Alcoholic Beverages? 
A: We provide non-alcoholic beverages as part of your trip. If you would like to bring alcohol that is okay, we prefer cans instead of glass, unless you’re bringing a bottle of wine. Let us know if you’re bringing wine so we can have a corkscrew available.